Job Title: Nurse Practitioner
Reports To: Division Head
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Date: 9/19/2019 Written/Revised
The Nurse Practitioner (NP) is an advanced practice nurse, who utilizes advanced knowledge and clinical expertise in providing primary and/or specialized health care services to individuals, families, groups and communities across the health-illness continuum. Diagnostic reasoning, advanced therapeutic interventions and education are key elements in the direct provision of care using a collaborative model. Duties include participation in coordination of care and inter-service and inter-team collaboration for specialty areas. The nurse practitioner works closely with physicians and resident staff, patient care staff, patients and families to manage plan of care. The nurse practitioner works across emergency, acute care areas and inpatient care units. The nurse practitioner works as an autonomous practitioner or in collaboration with a physician, and is directly accountable for making clinical judgments using independent and interdependent decision-making skills. The nurse practitioner writes medical orders (medications and tests) subject to internal and external rules and regulations credentialing. The nurse practitioner also functions as a consultant, educator, researcher, resource and role model for patient, families, community, nursing personnel and other health care providers. The nurse practitioner evaluates the quality of care rendered; analyzes and promotes system changes to enhance quality of care and organizational effectiveness/efficiency; conducts/utilizes research to promote health and improve health care delivery. The nurse practitioner assumes responsibility for own professional development. Appropriate privileges are required to prescribe pharmacological and medical interventions.
Registered nurse licensure to practice in the state of Michigan. State of Michigan Nurse Specialty Certification as a Nurse Practitioner. Master’s degree in nursing from an accredited College or University. Two to 5 years working as an RN; Previous experience as an NP preferred but not required
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: State of Michigan Nurse Specialty Certification as a Nurse Practitioner
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
Under the limited direction of the attending physician or designee,
- Obtains and records patient medical history
- Performs physical examinations
- Orders, evaluates and monitors medical and laboratory diagnostic tests and treatment and consultation plans.
- Prepares, develops and initiates treatment plan in consultation with attending physician.
- Educates and counsels patient and family members on condition, desired results of treatment plans, expectations during illness and recovery, and other related areas.
- Participates in teaching and patient management conferences.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds with or without assistance.
- Able to complete duties under stress, deadlines, and while attending to multiple duties simultaneously.
- Prolonged computer related exposure, as well as sitting and standing at workstations for long periods of time.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Bending, sitting, and standing frequently throughout the day.
- Occasionally travel off-site for meetings, conferences, seminars, and training.
EXEMPT STATUS: This position is exempt from overtime pay provisions of the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.